Under the direction of the Director of Finance, the Controller is responsible for implementation of all daily finance, accounting, and reporting activities for Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, a National Medal of Arts recipient with an annual operating budget of $8 million and a varying capital budget of $1-10 million. The Controller will work closely with all staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support more efficient operations. In addition, they will partner with the Director of Finance, senior leadership, the staff of the Philanthropy Department, and the Human Resources (HR) and Information Technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, fundraising, HR, and IT functions and systems.
COVID vaccination is required as a condition of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered. A person is fully vaccinated for COVID-19 more than 2 weeks after having received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or more than 2 weeks after having received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson and Johnson [J&J]/Janssen).
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP and FASB standards and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for revenue and expenditures
- Manage the monthly closing process with meticulous attention to detail and prepare accurate and timely monthly financial reports
- Coordinate all audit activity and schedule preparation
- Assume a leading role in managing the effective integration of the CRM system with the accounting system and promote efficiencies by ensuring that systems are used to their fullest capacities
- Work with the Director of Finance and Department Directors to review all budgets and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/funding period; compile financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants
- Assist Jacob’s Pillow leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; prepare templates and assist in the compilation of individual proposals and analysis of trends, risks and opportunities
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines, and prepare regular reports
- Support the Director of Finance in departmental projects and obligations, as well as in engaging senior leadership and the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery, and nonprofit best practices
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in accounting or related financial field; minimum five years of related experience
- Experience in a nonprofit organization (either direct experience or experience as an auditor) of comparable size and scope, particularly a performing arts or cultural organization
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (particularly those relevant to nonprofit organizations); fund accounting, auditing, fiscal management; automated accounting systems and data processing inter‑relationships
- Ability to effectively apply accounting and auditing techniques and procedures in the work performed; to prepare clear, complete, and concise reports; to work on concurrent assignments and to meet deadlines; to communicate effectively orally and in writing, and to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work; strong work ethic, commitment to accuracy and commitment to supporting colleagues throughout the organization
- Demonstrated success in communicating effectively orally and in writing
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge and application of word processing, spreadsheet and presentation computer software in a P.C. environment; intermediate knowledge of databases
- Advanced Finance degree, MBA or CPA certification
- Knowledge of Tessitura
Skills & Qualities
- Strong internal customer service orientation with well-developed ability to communicate effectively with colleagues throughout the organization
- Commitment to the organizational values of inclusion, diversity, equity and access
- Appreciation of the role that Finance plays in supporting and advancing the mission of Jacob’s Pillow
- Strong sense of initiative and collaboration
- Sense of humor and perspective
REMOTE WORK POSSIBLE
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and references to [email protected], with “Controller” in the subject line.
All inquiries and materials will be confidential. Please do not mail hard copies or phone.
This is a full-time position year-round position.
Salary is commensurate with experience and in keeping with a not-for-profit pay scale.