Jacob’s Pillow, a National Historic Landmark and recipient of the National Medal of Arts, is a year-round center for dance and home to America’s longest-running international dance festival located in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Massachusetts.
The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is a newly instituted role to lead the Marketing and Patron Services divisions, and will provide innovative, audience-centric leadership as a crucial member of the Jacob’s Pillow Executive Team. As the Pillow reimagines the customer journey and lifecycle in light of digital programming, the Chief Marketing Officer should bring a highly strategic view of marketing for the performing arts and live experiences, as well as a commitment to leading and fostering a team. The new CMO will also be tasked with leading a review of the overall brand and positioning strategy, articulating target audiences, and establishing priorities for activation of a new strategy.
The CMO provides leadership and strategic vision to the Jacob’s Pillow Marketing and Patron Services teams and is a vital collaborator to all fellow members of the Executive Team. The role leads a team of 8 full-time year-round staff (14 at the peak of its summer season, plus a large team of part-time staff, interns, and volunteers) and has direct responsibility for revenue goals typically approaching $4 million (approximately $1.2 million during COVID). The CMO will ensure that Jacob’s Pillow continually grows and engages audiences for all of its various programming streams including performances, education, archives, and community engagement programs. The Pillow has a strong and storied brand and as the company approaches its 90th Anniversary in 2022 with a slate of newly added virtual offerings, the CMO will shape and drive the strategy that will continue to build and amplify its national and international brand.
- Craft and lead campaigns to maximize audience engagement across all Jacob’s Pillow offerings and programs, and raise awareness of the organization overall.
- Serve as a pivotal member of the Executive Team, centering audiences in major company decisions, including both setting and achieving brand and revenue goals.
- Prioritize marketing resources, budgets, and messaging, and advocate for investments where necessary.
- Participate in Board meetings as well as select committees where necessary (particularly the Philanthropy and Finance Committees).
Marketing and Patron Services Team Leadership
- Hire, lead, and retain high-performing staff within the Marketing and Patron Services departments.
- Supervise and work closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications on the development of marketing and press strategies for each programming stream.
- Supervise and work closely with the Director of Patron Services to provide an optimal patron experience and conduct thorough analysis of audience behaviors to inform future strategies.
- Provide overarching strategic direction for the marketing team, including external consultants, and creative design.
- Foster a data-driven culture within the Marketing and Patron Services divisions, wherein key data streams are utilized and acted upon; Jacob’s Pillow currently uses Tessitura and Prospect2.
- Oversee the development and implementation of an Audience Segmentation and Communications Strategy, working closely with the Director of Philanthropy and Director of Marketing and Communications to envision content and contact throughout the patron lifecycle.
- Collaborate with the digital content team (part of the Artistic team) in the delivery and promotion of virtual offerings.
- Drive strategic projects such as the 90th Anniversary celebration, communication around capital campaign, venue re-openings, and digital programming.
- Serve as a key thought partner with regard to programming (both in-person and virtual).
- A minimum of 10 years of marketing and communications experience, and at least 5 years in a leadership capacity
- A passion for dance, and for connecting audiences with dance; direct performing arts experience is preferred, but not required
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, as well as strong capabilities around collaboration
- Experience planning integrated marketing, communications, and engagement strategies that encapsulate all aspects of the marketing mix
- Commitment to IDEA goals and initiatives at both an administrative and audience development level, and a comfort with planning campaigns for a diverse array of audience segments
- Experience working in a cultural organization with ticketed events is preferred but not required
- Experience working with Tessitura is preferred but not required
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Jacob’s Pillow also offers generous benefits including health, dental, life insurance, 403b retirement plan, and EAP. A housing subsidy for Summer residence is available to candidates who do not reside in the Berkshires.
The search for the Chief Marketing Officer is being conducted on behalf of Jacob’s Pillow by Tom O’Connor Consulting Group, a New York-based executive search and consulting firm specializing in marketing, audience development, and adjacent disciplines within the arts and culture industries.
Click here for more information.
This is a full-time year-round position.