Thanks to donations made to The School and its endowment, dancers are eligible for scholarships if able to prove financial need.
To help as many dancers as possible, most scholarships are partial. Full scholarships require especially strong evidence of financial need. All scholarship recipients agree to serve as exemplary Pillow community members and fulfill needed campus duties.
2017 Merit Scholarships
Three merit scholarships are awarded to dancers meeting the described criteria below.
To be considered, simply check the appropriate boxes when you submit your Program Application.
Lorna Strassler Award for Student Excellence
Each year, a young artist enrolled in The School receives material support and career encouragement in the form of a full program scholarship and $2,500 cash. Established in 2004 by former Pillow board member Lorna Strassler and her husband, recipients must be able to demonstrate performance excellence and exemplary dedication to the field.
You must submit a video audition to be considered, even if auditioning in person.
“It is our hope that this award will make a difference in the lives of those who receive it.”
Awardees to date:
- Madison Embrey (2017) Musical Theatre Dance Program, New York City based freelance dancer, actress, and singer.
- Eoin Robinson (2016) attends The Juilliard School
- Therese Davis (2015) dances with Pennsylvania Ballet
- Amber Pickens (2014) dances with Cirque du Soleil’s Paramour on Broadway; founder of Art Belongs to the People
- Samantha Barriento (2013) dances with Ailey II
- Theresa J. Murray (2012) freelances in musicals on the West Coast
- Craig Black (2011) dances with Aspen Santa Fe Ballet
- Calvin Royal III (2010) dances with American Ballet Theatre
- I-Fen Lin (2009) freelances as a choreographer and dancer; on faculty at Taipei National University of the Arts, School of Dance
- Lindsey Jolyn Jackson (2008) dances on Broadway with The Lion King
- Christi Shannon Kline (2007) playwright and author of two poetry collections
- Min Li (2006) commissioned for a full-evening workby National Centre of Performing Arts, Beijing and costume designer for Hannover Staatstheater
- Avi Scher (2005) freelance choreographer and teacher; works for Clinton Global Initiative
- Winston Dynamite Brown (2004) freelance dancer and model
Marcia Simon Kaplan Scholarship
- One full scholarship to attend the 2017 Contemporary Program is awarded to a New World School of the Arts dancer. Audition in Miami on January 15.
American Dance Guild/Jacob’s Pillow Scholarship
- One full scholarship to attend the 2017 Tap Program. American Dance Guild membership required; americandanceguild.org