2021 Tap Dance Application Deadlines & Notifications
Participation Requirements & Policies
Jan 25 at Noon EST | Early Deadline | $40 processing fee, includes 1 free Recruitment Master Class
Extended: March 1 at Noon EST | Deadline | $45 processing fee, includes 1 free Recruitment Master Class
March 1 at 12:01 EST and onwards | Happy to consider if opening available | $55 processing fee
Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis by Program Directors and School staff. Admittance status emails are also sent on a rolling basis.
Consider taking a Tap Master Class. For details, see the Master Classes page.
- Jan 23 | Register through Alabama Dance Festival
- Feb 7 | Registration closes Feb 4 at midnight
- Be prepared to upload materials into the application form when asked.
- Clicking APPLY NOW takes you to the Acceptd website, our application portal. We highly recommend you review the Application Guidelines located there in order to submit a complete and competitive application.
- Review your work carefully before submitting, as only complete applications are considered for acceptance.
- If you need any assistance, contact School Programs Coordinator Fiona Scruggs: [email protected] or 413.243.9919 x. 168.
Required Program Application Materials to Upload
1. Audition Video
Footage must be of clear viewing quality and preferably shot within six months, or as recent as possible, prior to submission. Videos shot outside of a studio, perhaps in a home, garage, or other setting are fine. Media-enhanced, highly edited, or promotional type videos are not reviewed. Adjudicators prefer one concise video with a table of contents; multiple videos will be viewed if contents are properly identified. Use one of the following file types to successfully upload your video(s): MP4, M4V, AVI, FLV, MOV, WMV, MPG, MPEG, M2V, MKV, and WEBM.
- Verbal self-introduction, 1 minute maximum
- Your name and current affiliation
- Why this program is important for you this year
- What you are showing on your reel
- Anything you wish to share about your footage: title/choreographer(s) of performance footage, why footage date not as preferred, etc. Remember, we are looking at who you are as a dancer, not where you are dancing.
- Technique sampler, 8 minute maximum
- Drills that move through toe/heel rudiments, flaps, shuffles, time steps, cramp rolls, paddle and rolls and other close floor work, pull backs, wings, etc. All in time, all acapella.
- 8 bars each of different grooves/feels/pockets (including a swing feel, a double-time swing feel, a straight feel, a funk feel, a 3/4, a 6/8, and 2-3 examples of any traditional material known). All in time, all acapella.
- 1-2 minutes of improvisation. This can be acapella or with music. If music is used, please make sure the volumes of the music and the taps are balanced.
2. Written Statement 1000 words or less
- Influences on your current dance work and artistic goals
- Career aspirations and experiences desired to reach them
- How you envision this program impacting your vision of yourself as an artist
5. If 17 or younger, a Letter of Recommendation and a Reference are required
- Be ready to list the name, title, phone, and email of a dance teacher or artist who has agreed to write a Letter of Recommendation. On receipt of an email from Acceptd on behalf of Jacob’s Pillow, he/she/they should be prepared to address the following:
- Technical and performance artistry
- Stamina to participate in rigorous, professional level classes, rehearsals, performances before the public, and evening responsibilities
- Ability to interact, and live, responsibly as a professional in a diverse artist community
- Be ready to list the name, title, phone, and email of a second dance artist or teacher who can speak about your work with staff if needed.
Click to visit our main Program Fees and Scholarships page.
Required Scholarship Application Materials To Upload, only if applicable
If you are a dependent, all financial information provided must be for your parent/guardian(s). U.S. and international dancers are eligible for scholarships. Read Program Fees & Scholarships for amounts distributed and named scholarship opportunities. The Scholarship Application is easily found within the Program Application. If you need any assistance, contact School Programs Coordinator Fiona Scruggs: [email protected] or 413.243.9919 x. 168.
1. Statement of Need – up to 500 words suggested, yet we understand circumstances applicable to your situation this year may require more than 500 words.
- Describe your current financial situation and why financial aid is necessary
- Provide clear and accurate information about your current income and/or employment
- List previous scholarships, awards, and/or financial aid received
2. Proof of Income
- Federal Tax Form, 2019 or 2020, page one only, for yourself, or your parent/guardian.
- If exempt from filing, or a non-U.S. resident, combine earning statements for July, October, and December 2019 into one PDF document.
3. Support Documentation
- Combine evidence that substantiates your Written Statement of Need into one PDF document. Examples are: child care invoices, debt counseling statements, financial aid records, food stamp registration, hospital invoices, rental agreements, scholarship award copies, tuition payment record, etc.