Small Steps, Big Impact
The Jacob’s Pillow Sustainability Initiative aims to ensure the longevity of our organization as a National Historic Landmark, surrounding community, and natural resources through the practice and promotion of environmentally friendly practices.
The Jacob’s Pillow Sustainability Initiative launched in 2018, after the institution celebrated its 85th anniversary. The initiative stems out of a desire to better assess the needs of our physical 220-acre forested site, in order to secure a thriving and successful future. Stewarding both short and long term goals, the initiative often works in partnership with local organizations. The Pillow has already taken impactful steps to help sustain our mountaintop of dance through this initiative.
- Creating a culture of sustainability among staff, artists, and visiting patrons
- Reducing our water consumption
- Managing our waste products
- Investing in renewable energy sources
- Insisting on Green Printing
- Improved our grounds watering systems through implementation of a rainwater collection system
- Began tracking water usage as an important data marker for future success
- Banned plastic straws within dining facilities
- Provided reusable water bottles to staff, visiting artists, students, and interns
- Partnered with a Becket neighbor who uses our food waste to feed his livestock
- Decreased our in-house paper usage
- Increased awareness and education for staff, visiting artists, and patrons
JOIN THE INITIATIVE
Join us in taking small steps for our National Historic Landmark:
- Bring your own reusable drink container for water and other beverages
- Recycle clean glass, plastic, and paper materials in our receptacles around campus
- Carpool to the Pillow or take the Pittsfield-Pillow Express
- Eat local and organic. You can decrease the distance from farm to fork!
- Use reusable bags or baskets for your Pillow picnic
- When washing your hands, use soap first, then turn on the sink
- Bring your tickets on your phone! Our “print-at-home” tickets are mobile-friendly
Thank you for visiting us and for helping to ensure the longevity of Jacob’s Pillow by adopting sustainable habits when you’re on our campus.