College Partnership Program
Join and shape the next generation of dance professionals
The Jacob’s Pillow College Partnership Program exists to support dance as a means of research, discourse, and artistic expression for faculty, artists, scholars, and students – virtually and on-campus. At a time when many faculty members are being required to teach online, Jacob’s Pillow has essential resources to support curriculum and learning. Joining the College Partnership Program provides all faculty, staff, and departments access to Jacob’s Pillow resources.
In addition to public access to Online Jacob’s Pillow Archives featuring collections of moving images, books, correspondence, photographs, and Festival program, partnership benefits & events include:
- “Inside the Pillow Lab” virtual screening and talk back with jumatutu m. poe & Jermone Donte Beacham and their collaborators on October 21
- Consultations with archivists for faculty on research and curriculum design
- Opportunity to apply for College Partnership Program Faculty Research Fellowship (one in Spring and Fall of each year). Includes housing for up to two weeks, stipend, access to archivists.
- Priority notification of Pillow opportunities including Jacob’s Pillow Intern and Administrative Fellowship Program positions, The School at Jacob’s Pillow professional advancement programs, and special workshops and classes year-round
Additional benefits for regional partners within driving distance of Jacob’s Pillow:
- Access to select full-length Pillow performances on growing research database Jacob’s Pillow Dance Stream, including performances from 2018-2021 (available to regional partners only).
- Invitation to Annual College Partner Convening for partners across the region
- Invitation to private Pillow Lab work-in-progress showings and receptions, presented at the end of the artists’ residency.
- Indigenous Enterprises: October 16, 2pm (In-Person Showing)
- jumatatu m. poe and Jermone Donte Beacham: Oct 21 at 7:30pm Eastern (YouTube premiere)
- Yve Laris Cohen: December 11, 2pm (In-Person Showing)
- Customizable visits to Jacob’s Pillow including schedulable tours and seminars
- Discounts to Dance Education Laboratory workshops (DEL) at Jacob’s Pillow
Read more about benefits below.
Become a Partner or Renew your membership for the ‘21-’22 Academic Year
Partnership enrollment is accepted on a rolling basis year-round, with a rolling renewal process in place. 2021-2022 Partnerships are active for the academic year through the 2022 Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival.
Any dance group, program, or department within an institution of higher education (two-year and four-year institutions) is eligible for membership, and benefits extend to all continuing employees of the organization. Please note: At this time, Jacob’s Pillow Dance Stream access is only available to regional Institutional Partners | $300
Individuals must have current or former academic affiliation with higher education. Please note: Individual partnership does not include Jacob’s Pillow Dance Stream | $100
Webinar: Pillow Tools for Teaching Online
View a one-hour webinar exploring the digital materials available through Jacob’s Pillow with Norton Owen, Director of Preservation, and Patsy Gay, Associate Archivist.
Partnership Benefits & Events include:
- Personalized virtual reference assistance with Archives staff
- Jacob’s Pillow’s virtual resources can support curriculum and research,
providing connections across the lens of dance scholarship. Many resources are free
to explore and access.
- Online Archives – An extensive online collection of photographs and festival programs in addition to digital exhibitions that chronicle the history of Jacob’s Pillow including Ted Shawn, Ted Shawn’s Men Dancers, and the Denishawn Company.
- Jacob’s Pillow Dance Interactive online catalogue – An ever-growing collection of excerpted dance videos filmed at Jacob’s Pillow from the 1930s to
today, including specially curated playlists linking themes and genres.
- Themes & Essays – A deep dive into the Jacob’s Pillow Archives through a variety of web-exclusive essays divided into distinct themes. Written by scholars, Themes & Essays share insights along with extended video clips, archival photographs, programs, and more.
- PillowVoices podcast – A monthly podcast that exemplifies Jacob’s Pillow’s mission to ‘support dance creation, presentation, education, and preservation; and to engage and deepen public appreciation and support for dance’ by utilizing archival recordings brought to life in the personal stories and narration of current thought-leaders and scholars.
- Jacob’s Pillow YouTube channel – Includes post-show talks with Festival Artists and Pillow Scholars, performance clips, and more.
- Jacob’s Pillow Dance Stream is an ever-growing collection of full-length dance videos from the Jacob’s Pillow Archives.
- Jacob’s Pillow Dance Stream was created by Jacob’s Pillow especially for Colleges and Universities to provide unprecedented online access to selected full-length videos previously only accessible at the Jacob’s Pillow Archives. Watch recent performances by top national and international dance companies working in a range of movement styles including ballet, contemporary, tap, and traditional forms; in-depth interviews with artists and experts in the dance field; master classes from The School at Jacob’s Pillow; historic films of Denishawn Dance Company and Ted Shawn’s Men Dancers; and more.
- Annual College Partner Convening, a gathering held each fall to network and discuss current issues in the field.
- Save the date for the 2021 Convening on Saturday, Oct 30, 10am-2pm
- Visibility on the Jacob’s Pillow website with a link to your institution.
The Pillow continues to support dance artists in their choreographic process through residency support at the Pillow Lab. Join artists and companies at virtual “Inside the Pillow Lab” showings for conversations and sharing that reflect the first time many artists are together making in the same space again. Online sharings will range from short films, chronicling of Pillow Lab artist experience, movement sharing & discussion, and more. Plus, as a College Partner, you’re invited to Conversations with Pillow Lab Artists, exclusively available to members of our College Partners and Jacob’s Pillow VIP members. Approximately 30 minutes in duration.
FALL 2021 SHOWINGS:
Indigenous Enterprises – October 16, 2pm
jumatatu m. poe and Jermone Donte Beacham – October 21 (virtual only)
Yve Laris Cohen – December 11, 2pm
On the week of each showing, College Partners receive direct outreach from Jacob’s Pillow with an invitation to join the conversations with artists.
Curated Day at the Pillow visits tailored to artistic and academic interests pending national and state Health & Safety Guidelines in response to COVID-19 in 2021.
Get notified first about our upcoming DEL at Jacob’s Pillow professional development opportunities, now offered virtually. College Partner Participants receive a 20% when indicated upon registration.
Join Ann Biddle (Director of DEL at Jacob’s Pillow) and Felice Santorelli (DEL Facilitator) in this online workshop series highlighting the Jacob’s Pillow Dance Interactive site. Re-envision dance history as embodied inquiry using the extensive video and multimedia resources of the Jacob’s Pillow Archives.
- Jacob’s Pillow Intern and Administrative Fellowship Program positions
- The School at Jacob’s Pillow professional advancement programs
- Special workshops and classes year-round