A strategic plan for the Pillow's future: strengthening the artistic core, boosting civic leadership & community engagement, and renewing campus facilities.
Jacob’s Pillow is a national treasure—a revered destination for dance artists, dance audiences, and dance lovers of all kinds.
At the milestone of its 85th anniversary, Jacob’s Pillow embarked on a new era of change and evolution. Vision ‘22, a five-year plan, will fortify the Pillow’s existing programs and put new emphasis on three goals.
Realizing these goals will transform the Pillow and enhance its ability to showcase the best of dance from around the world, prepare the next generation of dance artists and dance professionals, serve its neighbors and growing global community—and bring people together to experience the power of dance. Stay tuned for exciting updates about Vision ‘22!
For more info, contact Director of Development Alexandra Groff at [email protected] or 413.243.9919 x120.
1. Strengthening the Artistic Core
Become a year-round, international center for dance by:
- Sustaining and evolving our renowned 10-week summer dance Festival
- Launching the Pillow Lab, a center for dance research and development
- Hosting regular residencies through the In Process Series at the Pillow Lab which enhances artistic development and supports the process of choreography
- Expanding on-line access to our unparalleled Archives
- Creating the Choreography Program at The School at Jacob’s Pillow to nurture the next generation of choreographers
- Serving as a preeminent leader in the dance field by hosting conferences, workshops, and other events
2. Boosting Civic Leadership & Community Engagement
Strengthen connections with our neighbors in the Berkshires and surrounding counties by:
- Expanding our Jacob’s Pillow Curriculum in Motion® program to all elementary schools in Pittsfield
- Collaborating with Pittsfield & Becket schools to enhance the presence of dance in curriculum
- Providing public programs such as Pillow Pop-Up performances and interactive community dance workshops
- Forging partnerships with local dance schools to bring students to the Pillow with The Dancing Berkshires Fund
- Partnering with local educational, social, and economic justice organizations to employ dance as a means of storytelling and relationship building
3. Renewing Campus Facilities
Bring the famed Jacob’s Pillow campus up to date and make facilities more comfortable for artists, audiences, and staff by:
- Upgrading and modernizing the historic Ted Shawn Theatre
- Completing the Perles Family Studio
- Improving intern, apprentice, and artist housing
“This shift represents an exciting evolution in the scope of Jacob’s Pillow. We are strengthening our artistic core by investing in the creation of new work and giving artists the opportunity to dream and experiment.”