AXIS Dance Company
July 14-16, 2023
Led by Artistic Director Nadia Adame and Managing Director Danae Rees, AXIS Dance Company is one of the nation’s most acclaimed ensembles of disabled, non-disabled, and neurodiverse performers. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, the company has toured to over 100 cities in the U.S. over the past 35 years, as well as London, Dubai, Frankfurt, The Hague, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Novosibirsk, Siberia. They will make their Jacob’s Pillow debut this summer performing Desiderata by Asun Noales, Flutter by Robin Dekkers, and Historias Rotas by Nadia Adame.
In addition to their extensive touring and performances, AXIS provides integrated dance education and outreach programs, building paths to dance education for disabled and non-disabled people of all ages and experiences. “AXIS’s work instructs the viewer in how to appreciate it, and the lesson is delivered with cogent force.” – The New York Times
Do you have any accessibility needs that we should be aware of? When purchasing your ticket, please call our Box Office at 413.243.0745 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can do our best to accommodate you during your visit.
- Geography: Jacob’s Pillow is situated in the Berkshire mountains in a rural location. The campus contains several hills, with changes to elevation on the path from the Main Parking Lot to the outdoor Henry J. Leir Stage, and on George Carter Road between the Overlook Parking Lot and the Henry J. Leir Stage. Both the Main Parking Lot and Overlook Parking Lot are dirt / gravel. Parking attendants will be present to assist with parking and drop-off.
- Ticketed Entry: Printed tickets are available to pick up at the Box Office, which is located near the Main Parking Lot, approximately 500 feet from the Leir Stage along a gravel path. If you cannot visit the Box Office, Jacob’s Pillow staff are available to assist you at the entrance to the outdoor stage.
- Seating: The Leir Stage is general admission; visitors may sit where they choose. Seating is on wooden benches with backs, placed in rows. If you would like to reserve seats that are accessible for wheelchair users and those with mobility needs, and/or seats closer to ASL interpreters, please call our Box Office at 413.243.0745 or email us at email@example.com when purchasing your tickets.
- Wheelchair access: The Leir Stage is wheelchair accessible, and has been recently renovated to feature pathways that include MobiMats, stairs with handrails covering rough terrain, and paved pathways to our ADA seating. All seating is accessible by a ramp, and while there is a significant slope/uneven ground in sections, there are no stairs.
- Golf cart transportation between the parking lots and the Leir Stage is available on request before and after performances. (Campus pathways and parking lots at Jacob’s Pillow are paved with gravel.) If you expect to use golf cart transportation, we encourage you to notify us in advance, at the above phone number or email address. However, no advance reservation of golf carts is required.
- ASL interpretation is offered at all performances by AXIS Dance Company, including for the Pre-Show Talk, with seating near the interpreter reserved for D/deaf and hard-of-hearing visitors.
- Audio description is not available for these performances.
- ADA-compliant public restrooms are located on the main path across from Hunter House, and in the pavilion outside the Ted Shawn Theatre near the Welcome Center. Bathrooms across from Hunter House are public and gender-neutral, but differ in facilities, with one including just private stalls and the other including both private stalls and public urinals. Gender diversity is welcome at Jacob’s Pillow; please use the restroom that best fits your gender identity or expression. Additionally, fully private gender-neutral restrooms are available in the lobby of the Ted Shawn Theatre.
- Animal policy: Only service animals are permitted inside buildings at Jacob’s Pillow including the Ted Shawn Theatre, the outdoor Henry J. Leir Stage, and in our restaurant and dining areas. Under titles II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), a service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. More generally: Jacob’s Pillow allows leashed dogs and pets in outdoor spaces on our campus.
- Health policy: At this time, COVID-19 vaccination is recommended, but not required, for visitors to Jacob’s Pillow. Masking is encouraged. Masking or vaccination may be required for specific events or areas of campus. Please visit jacobspillow.org/health for the most updated policies.
Oh no! You missed this one! Check our calendar for future events.
More This Week
Jacob’s Pillow On Demand
Jacob’s Pillow On Demand
Discover full-length performances from groundbreaking artists filmed live at Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, and watch virtual commissions, recent short films of in-process work in the Pillow Lab residencies, and more!
AXIS Dance Company
At outdoor Henry J. Leir Stage: Jul 14 - Jul 16