2021 Contemporary Application Deadlines & Notifications
Participation Requirements & Policies
Jan 25 at Noon EST | Early Deadline | $40 processing fee, includes 1 free Recruitment Master Class
Feb 16 at Noon EST | Deadline | $45 processing fee, includes 1 free Recruitment Master Class
Feb 16 at 12:01 EST and onwards | Happy to consider if opening available | $55 processing fee
Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis by Program Directors and School staff. Admittance status emails are also sent on a rolling basis.
Consider taking a Contemporary Master Class. For details, see the Master Classes page.
- Jan 23 | Registration closes January 21 at midnight
- Jan 24 | Registration closes January 21 at midnight
- Feb 6 | Registration closes Feb 4 at midnight
- Feb 7 | Registration closes Feb 4 at midnight
- Be prepared to upload materials into the application form when asked.
- Clicking APPLY NOW takes you to the Acceptd website, our application portal. We highly recommend you review the Application Guidelines located there in order to submit a complete and competitive application.
- Review your work carefully before submitting, as only complete applications are considered for acceptance.
- If you need any assistance, contact School Programs Coordinator Fiona Scruggs: [email protected] or 413.243.9919 x. 168.
Required Program Application Materials to Upload
1. Audition Video
Footage must be of clear viewing quality and preferably shot within six months, or as recent as possible, prior to submission. Videos shot outside of a studio, perhaps in a home, garage, or other setting are fine. Media-enhanced, highly edited, or promotional type videos are not reviewed. Adjudicators prefer one concise video with a table of contents; multiple videos will be viewed if contents are properly identified. Use one of the following file types to successfully upload your video(s): MP4, M4V, AVI, FLV, MOV, WMV, MPG, MPEG, M2V, MKV, and WEBM.
- Verbal self-introduction, 1 minute maximum
- Your name and current affiliation
- Why this program is important for you this year
- What you are showing on your reel
- Anything you wish to share about your footage: title/choreographer(s) of performance footage, why footage date not as preferred, etc. Remember, we are looking at who you are as a dancer, not where you are dancing.
- Technique sampler, 8 minute maximum
- Center floor grand pliés, ronds de jambe, extensions, and balances
- Across-the-floor progressions with turns, jumps, and leaps; petit allegro, if possible.
- Performance sampler, 10 minute maximum
- In-studio footage is preferred over performance footage
- If performance or group footage, identify who is to be viewed
- Identify names of works and choreographers for
- 2-3 variations, improvisations, and/or repertory excerpts
- Excerpts should demonstrate a range of dynamics, levels, tempos, and styles
2. Written Statement 1000 words or less
- Influences on your current dance work and artistic goals
- Career aspirations and experiences desired to reach them
- How you envision this program impacting your vision of yourself as an artist
5. If 17 or younger, a Letter of Recommendation and a Reference are required
- Be ready to list the name, title, phone, and email of a dance teacher or artist who has agreed to write a Letter of Recommendation. On receipt of an email from Acceptd on behalf of Jacob’s Pillow, he/she/they should be prepared to address the following:
- Technical and performance artistry
- Stamina to participate in rigorous, professional level classes, rehearsals, performances before the public, and evening responsibilities
- Ability to interact, and live, responsibly as a professional in a diverse artist community
- Be ready to list the name, title, phone, and email of a second dance artist or teacher who can speak about your work with staff if needed.
Fees and Scholarship Materials
Click to visit our main Program Fees and Scholarships page.
Required Scholarship Application Materials To Upload, only if applicable
If you are a dependent, all financial information provided must be for your parent/guardian(s). U.S. and international dancers are eligible for scholarships. Read Program Fees & Scholarships for amounts distributed and named scholarship opportunities. The Scholarship Application is easily found within the Program Application. If you need any assistance, contact School Programs Coordinator Fiona Scruggs: [email protected] or 413.243.9919 x. 168.
1. Statement of Need – up to 500 words suggested, yet we understand circumstances applicable to your situation this year may require more than 500 words.
- Describe your current financial situation and why financial aid is necessary
- Provide clear and accurate information about your current income and/or employment
- List previous scholarships, awards, and/or financial aid received
2. Proof of Income
- Federal Tax Form, 2019 or 2020, page one only, for yourself, or your parent/guardian.
- If exempt from filing, or a non-U.S. resident, combine earning statements for July, October, and December 2019 into one PDF document.
3. Support Documentation
- Combine evidence that substantiates your Written Statement of Need into one PDF document. Examples are: child care invoices, debt counseling statements, financial aid records, food stamp registration, hospital invoices, rental agreements, scholarship award copies, tuition payment record, etc.